Friday, December 21, 2007

Sally’s tyrannical reign of terror is over! …at least until mid-January when she gets back from her vacation. That leaves me free to work on new projects for you guys without the constant threat of Sally breaking stuff and making me stop what I’m doing to fix it.

Earlier this week, I received an e-mail from a reader asking whether we plan to launch crime maps for the South County police departments. I’m sure there are others out there who are wondering the same thing. Yes, we are planning to provide maps for other departments and will be working with them to get reliable feeds of data. I believe the map that’s most likely to be developed next is Pismo Beach. Look out for that sometime early next year.

We don’t plan to launch any new features in the next week, so here’s a quick status report on what we’re working on:

First up, the caption contest kept me pretty busy yesterday. We had 117 entries, which is great. Our judges had a good time picking the finalists, although it took a while to get a clear top four. Thanks to all who entered, and remember to vote.

Most of my time this week has been spent working on a new project that for now we’ll call the “community site.” This new site will allow us to replace our shockingly inadequate discussion boards, while also allowing more user-generated content such as stories, photos and blogs. We currently have a highly polarized, yet small group of readers who contribute their opinions, and it will be great to be able to focus some energy on promoting our user-generated features and expanding that group.

Finally, I just wanted to mention that it’s not too late to submit your house into our Holiday Lights map. Now, I'm not saying that if you don't take some pictures of your lights and submit them that Santa won't visit you this year, but is that something you really want to risk? Some of the ones that have been sent in look really great.

If you have any questions about the Web site, feel free to e-mail me, or leave a comment on this blog. I’ll do my best to answer them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I giggled at your description of the readers that comment on stories regularly, as "highly polarized". I happen to be one of those writers in that small group. The funny thing is, if you read between the lines, there is a general camraderie and even some ribbing going on between the small group of commenters. I can always count on particular characters to respond exactly the way I'd expect, and so on. It's more like a game. While I think the idealogies of the commenters seem polar opposites, we all seem to notice when we agree on something. It often feels like large dysfunctional family at the dinner table. I look foward to more opporunties to expand the offerings to vocal readers like myself... the more the merrier!

Post a Comment